The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Quick Patch, Part 1

Okay, here is a quick post. Would you believe I've actually done more on the Devil Queen than I have time to write about? When was the last time that happened?
Here is the hole in our living room wall. As you might guess based on the three switch panel above the hole, this where the original living room light switch was located. I don't know why the electricians didn't expand this hole instead of cutting a new one.

First, check to see if there are any wires behind the hole. You don't want to cut or nick them latter in the process. Fortunately, all the wiring drops down from the attic, so we are safe from electrocution. Snakes, rats, or other wildlife are another story.

Whoever did this cut did a sorry job. I laid a piece of paper over the hole and made an etching using a graphite art pencil I had laying around. Here's the etching.

I taped the etching to a block of scrap wood of the same thickness as the wallboards (3/4"). Ideally, I would have used a jigsaw for this, but I still haven't replaced the one that was stolen a couple years back. Instead I used our miter saw and just tried to get it as close as I could to all the funky curves.

Not that this is a terribly involved process, but I will have to post the rest later. I know, what a gripping life I lead.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter