The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Just Say No to Crack

Originally, all the Devil Queen's interior walls were covered in wallpaper glued to canvas tacked to the tongue-in-groove wall boards. After 100+ years of neglect, the wallpaper and canvas were in very sad shade, so we tore it all out.

The problem with this is that the tongue-in-groove walls were never intended to be finished walls. This means there are all sorts of fugly gaps were boards, corners, et cetera come together. Who cares about a snaggle-toothed 3/4" gap if it's going to be covered with wallpaper?

Well, now that the wallpaper is gone, I do.

Here is the big old nasty crack in the main hall.

Here's my freakish old-man looking hand for perspective. Look at that thing. If we hadn't filled the bugger with spray-foam you could nearly slip your whole hand into this gateway to the poisonous spider, fat wall-mice underworld. Yuck.


Here is the trim in place. It's a thin, 3/4" piece of cove trim from Lowes. I used 1 1/8" (I think) brads to nail it in place.


Here is a close-up shot. The wall boards are not level (vertically or horizontally), so there is still some visible crack. I will caulk the hell out of this and paint the trim blue to match the wall.


What is so sad about this who project is just how lazy I am. It took me all of 15 minutes to get this trim up and in place. This was mainly because I'd cut the trim to fit last year. If you're looking for way to make a 20-30 minute project last 4-6 months, I am your man.

Fuck me, I don't know which is worse, working on the house or making myself work on the house.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

"...this gateway to the poisonous spider, fat wall-mice underworld..." LMAO!! (But don't let I Love Upstate read that sentence--it'll give her nightmares!)

8:11 AM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

No thanks, I've already got a husband who has this down to an art too.

I do like your plank walls though. We are going to finish our stairwell walls the same way. Minus the large cracks in the corner I hope.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter