The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

Sometimes there just isn’t any prize for being right. We have all been very sick here at the Devil Queen. Monday night, the plague that had already claimed the rest of the family came to visit me. It was bad enough that I happily slept on the bathroom floor that night. If this stomach bug is anything like a preview for what life on chemo would be like, I have to wonder why bother.

Really, it’s funny how little it takes to reduce us from healthy, functional human beings to quivering sack of biological processes bereft of most of the higher functions.

Maybe this is something unique to the Devil Queen, but I find this old house a very depressing local for recuperation. On the one hand, I can’t help but think of all the people who died here. On the other, I can’t help but notice every bloody thing that still needs to be finished in all these long, listless hours on the couch or in bed.

What I find so funny is that I’ve been trying to take better care of myself the last month or so. You know, getting more sleep, eating better, etc. What do I get? I get every flu virus in circulation this season. Last year, I worked myself ragged, never slept, drank so much coffee that I pissed black tar, and was I sick? I think I got a cold, maybe. I know that making an empirical, scientific conclusion maybe hard with this data, but it is something to wonder about.

And, the superstitious fuck-wit that I am, I have to wonder about my karma. Scarlet and I hammer together a plan for the near future, and, more or less immediately, I get the flu, our town is hit by a tornado, and a heinous stomach virus decimates our entire family. At this point, I’m almost scared to do anything ambitious or productive.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Poor John. Hang in there. I hope you fell better soon. You might try either taking Vitamin C supplements or maybe eating more citrus fruit...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I do hope you feel better soon, but the "piss black tar" comment made me laugh so loud the dog looked at me funny.
Last year, I got in order... the stomach flu, the phenomia, and the super bacteria staph infection. It took about a month to get over the phenomia and about 6 weeks for the super bacteria to heal...

2:13 PM  
Blogger John said...

Sandy, thanks. Personally, having tried healthy eating and vitamins, I'm opting for whiskey if I feel something comming on again.

Jen,

"Super bacteria staph infection." Yuck. I'd rather barf. Really.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter