The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

St. Joseph Is My Real Estate Agent

This is a, "Saint Joseph Home Selling Kit," that is for sale on eBay.


Now, that's what I'm talking about. Why depend on hard work, market appeal, and advertising when you can use voodoo?

Anyone ever tried one of these babies? If so, did it work?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I just read this on another houseblog. I think you are supposed to bury the dude in the yard and good things happen.

12:44 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, that is basically right. I think if your house sells that you are supposed to dig him up and display him in your new residence a pay-off of sorts for the good mojo.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ranty said...

I have one in my listing kit box, but only for sellers who request it. So far none have.

Frankly I suspect that St. Joseph is actually the patron saint of overpriced listings... but perhaps I'm being harsh?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after nearly a year on the market, we resorted to burying the little guy. Bam! House sold within a couple of weeks. I also buried a bottle of Thai fish sauce, but that's another story...

8:31 AM  
Blogger John said...

Ranty,

Funny, I have some in-laws who fit that description. I'll have to keep that in mind when our turn comes.

Greg,

Sweet! Though I have to wonder about the fish sauce. Which saint was that for?

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom loaned us one that "traveled the circuit" with her friends when we put our previous house on the market. Nothing much was happening, and my mom kept bugging me to rebury it when she found out I put a rock on the ground where it was buried ("you're blocking his mojo!"). So we dug a hole next to the For Sale sign. The house sold a few weeks later--of course she claimed it was because we reburied it--yeah, right. I'd say it was because we ended up refinishing the floors, painting, and turning the 2-bedroom back into a 3-bedroom. But whatever you want to believe! Good luck!

10:56 AM  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

When I sold my condo, my mom gave me one. We buried it by the front steps (it felt weird burying a saint). Sold my condo in 2 days(some 300+ people through the two open houses). Sold it for a tidy sum over asking price. If you ask me, it works :-)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I currently have a St. Joseph buried in the yard of my mom's house; he's doing double duty, having helped find renters for my condo last fall.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
here's the fish sauce story...

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter