The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul

Sorry, if you are looking for inspiring tales of adversity overcome, cunning do-it-yourself genius, and uplifting, character building tales, this probably isn’t the place to come today. I’m in a bit of funk (and you’re wondering, how is that any different than the usual bad attitude that I display?), and I can’t seem to shake it. I caught up on some sleep last night, but that hasn’t proved to be my much desired cure-all.

As much as I love having Kenny & Julian Electric at work, I will be more than a little relieved when they finally finish up. The constant strain and worry of finding money to pay them is starting to wear me down. Even with all the progress they’ve made, the whole process has become fairly demoralizing.

In an attempt to hurry things along with hired help, we have had to resort to robbing Peter to pay Paul. Mainly, we’ve had to pay for a lot of our day-to-day needs with credit cards to save the cash for the workers. It sucks. We’re not a dire situation (we still owe 30% less on credit cards than this time last year), but it bothers me a lot because debt = slavery.

Once Kenny and Casey finish, most of what we need to do is grunt work. Unfortunately, there just aren’t any easy ways to scrape old paint off the ceiling. Having tried a number of different techniques, I can safely say that they all suck. If we can ever finish the ceiling, I think things will speed up. I’m dying to use some of the 20+ gallons of paint and primer we’ve stockpiled.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

You have my sympathies, I was in the borrowers fix several years back.

I've been living in my ramshackle house for months because I refuse to give in to using credit cards to fix it up. The downside to this is realizing I truly live in a dump. My house in Texas has yet to sell which sucks because it is the planned source of money to be used to fix this one up. The wait for it to sell is killing me and it's been a real test of will not to turn to creditors for home improvement.

My daughter and I are turning into those people who keep saying "we're fixing it up, blah blah blah", yet very little has changed in 8 months....

I hope it comes together for you soon. I think your house is looking awesome.

5:04 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks, and best of luck to you. I hope that house in Texas is finally set free.

Once we mortgage the Queen (current deadline/goal November 2006), I'm hoping the age of credit cards will end. Without the burden of constuction loan payments & deadlines, we plan to pay as we go after that.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter