The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Beleaguered

Sorry for the lack of posts. We had a really bad weekend and virtually nothing was done at the Devil Queen. I’d originally hoped to finish a good bit of the painting in the laundry room/bathroom, but it didn’t happen. Why? My son got really sick, so we had lots of entertainment. The ER, needles, doctors, medicine, sleepless nights, and a whole world filled with similar delights. There should be a class you can take in Toddler Kung-fu. You know, twelve toddler submission holds so you can squirt a mouthful of “pleasant strawberry flavored” medicine into their maw. You could tell when he started feeling better; he'd spit it back at you instead of swallowing. Pleasant as always.

That pretty well kept us entertained for four full days. He’s doing much better now, so no worries there. My wife and I are still trying to catch up on sleep, but we haven’t quite managed that yet. We’re still doing the whole grumpy zombie routine. Well, I am at any rate. I think she’s sleeping better than me, so she may be feeling better.

Add a few other petty annoyances that come with everyday life (bills, money, & other bull shit), and I’m ready to crawl into a hole and hide for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

Sorry to hear it! I almost made my husband get up in the wee hours to take our older son to the ER when he was wheezing and coughing. That was a SCARY night. I'm very glad your little guy is doing better!!

I hate being chronically short on sleep. Anybody whp can live on four hours a night and is older than 30 has made a pact with an evil supernatural force. Like maybe Michael Jackson.

12:11 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks!

Lenise, you're right about the whole demonic pact thing, but it's not like I was using my soul for anything anyhow. Now, if you could refinish floors with it, that would be something worth keeping.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure that this little tip in the art of giving medicine to a squirming child is late in the coming at this point, but what the heck, someone else might see it and find it useful.

With my two boys, I perfected the upside down full body pin down. I would sit on the floor, legs out in front of me. Laying the child between my legs, I would be able to (gently here, I'm not being rough!) hold their head still and arms down with my legs at the same time, thus being able to concentrate on squirting that nasty medicine in their mouths without it spewing back out at me.

This also works well when administering eye and ear drops, especially when there isn't another person there to help. Sure, they scream (the child) from being pissed off, but they get over it quickly.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter