The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, August 07, 2006

Dumping Iron

Saturday we completely slacked off, but we made up for it Sunday.

Sunday, long-suffering Jack and I spent the day loading up the roll-away dumpster. It should be hauled off in a couple days, so we tried to get every last bit of trash. This included huge pieces of rusty iron, an old hot water heater, an iron bath tub (not antique or clawfoot, just freaking heavy), old insulation, rusty bits of metal, shingles, and God knows what else. It was around 100 degrees out so it wasn’t much fun. As part of world’s infinite cruelty, thunder clouds ringed around the Devil Queen, but none came to visit us. It sucked.

I’m still shocked by how much trash we still had laying around. The yard looks a lot better for not having a couple of toilets sitting out front. If it weren’t for the weeds and peeling paint, we’d almost look respectable, classy even.

Meanwhile, Scarlet and her mom painted our custom-built kitchen cabinets. They used milk-paint which merits a post on its own, so I won’t go into too much detail. They ended up spending about 6 hours painting so it was quite a day for everyone.

More later in the week, hopefully with pictures.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

Does this house give you dejavu?

http://www.hpw.com/SearchPages/IndividualListing.aspx?MlsNum=880003

If we were cool like y'all, we could do great things with it, maybe. Since we're not, I guess we'll let someone else have it.

7:44 AM  
Blogger John said...

You flatter us, and I can't help but think you're a little too hard on yourself.

Most of the time we thing we're morons for taking on this project. While house remodelling isn't for everyone, there is a lot of stuff anyone can learn to do with some hardwork, patience, and insanity.

In the off chance you decide to go for this or something similar, they're asking way too much for this place in my opinion. I don't know how the real estate market is in NC, but I wouldn't pay more that $50,000 for the whole thing (figure about 1/2 of that is for the lot).

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Yeah. Some parts of Hillsborough can get pretty steep, but this isn't one of them. I predicted on my blog they wouldn't get more than $70k. But then, I tend to undervalue acreage.

I'd be more confident about our abilities if we'd accomplished anything with our current house. We've paid people to roof and side it, replace the front porch/stairs and the gas pack, but haven't done anything ourselves beyond painting one room and putting up some curtain rods and a towel bar!

We just don't have the passion. It's more of a mild affection!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter