The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Geologically Speaking

Glaciers move faster than me. I managed to have some quality paint-scraping time with the Queen this weekend, but not enough to move on to the painting phase in the laundry room. I am very disappointed.

Fortunately, Kenny and Burt are still working for us. This week (or the next few days) will be their last for a while. After that, the money runs out for a while and we’ll need to finish a few things before we’re ready for their return.

Since we are rapidly running out of time, we’re switching priorities on our to-do list. We’re now hoping to work our way through the following list:

1) Finish the kitchen (paint trim & vent-hood, install cabinet lighting, install window weather stripping & locks, and order/install a trash compactor).
2) Laundry Room: scrape old paint off ceiling boards; paint ceiling, walls, & trim; refinish floor; install toilet, sink, washer, and dryer; plumb faucet for bath; and install a proper light fixture.
3) Finish back hall: scrape paint off three wall and ceiling; paint ceiling and walls; install and paint trim; weather stripping for door; install light fixture.
4) Main Hall: scrape paint off ceiling; wash walls; paint ceiling and walls; strip wood wainscoting (then stain & finish); install light fixtures, install & finish new hardwood floor.
5) Strip/scrape paint from exterior walls on front and back porches; paint walls and porch ceilings; strip, repair, paint, weather strip and finish all exterior doors; install exterior lighting.
6) Reinstall old storm windows/screens over windows facing out onto porches.

Of course, there is always more to do than this, but we’re hoping that this will get us marginally prepared for winter. I guess we’ll see. I don’t feel lucky.


The table top for our nook. We've finally decided that the slab of mystery wood it is made from is cypress. Below are some pictures the benches, the baseboard, and our new vent hood.


The bench legs fit into the base board so they fit flush to the wall.


The exterior of the vent hood will be painted with the dread milk paint. The interior will be painted with high gloss latex.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

Well, my last OB visit, the doc was talking continental shift because I noticed things were progressing which hadn't progressed with no. 1. He packed me off with assurances that I'd make my c-section scheduled a few weeks out. My water broke that night...

Maybe you'll surprise yourselves!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter