The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Take Your Brass and Shove It

I’ll just admit it; I’m jealous of folk who have double hung windows with nice access panels. You know brass screws, fittings, and the like. Most the reference works I've consulted feature access panels of this variety.

This is what I got instead:


The top of the access panel is held in place by these two nails (there are driven into the jamb on the "inside" of the weight pocket).


Here is the access panel in profile. Not the lone nail (not a screw) sticking out of the bottem; this is driven through the panel and into the jamb.


A close up of the nail.

And last of all, the top of the access panel. Someone spent a lot time notching this out, glad it wasn't me. You slip this end in first until the nails lock the top of the panel in place. Then you nail the bottom into place.

Functional? Well, mostly I guess. It’s not awe inspiring though. If I were to guess, it looks like the window jambs were built and the access panels were added as an after-thought before they were installed.

Another oddity is the three smaller windows added in the 1920’s or so have no access panels at all. Yes, I know they should have some, but they don’t. Very annoying.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

This looks quite standard to me. Mine are very similar to yours.

10:14 AM  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

Mine are also identical to yours, sans the nifty notched top. Thats all I've ever seen....didn't even know there were brass screws, etc. out there that I needed to jealous of...

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After working on 5 different houses here in Long Beach, I have yet to encounter even one of these. I always have to remove either the inside or exterior trim to access the weights. My copy of "Working Windows" said they should be there, but they weren't.

12:49 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks for the comments.

Patricia and Stuccohouse, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there. And, to a lessor extent (since I only have three accessless windows), this also applies to David too.

I wonder what the deciding factor is in regard to access panels. Time period? Cost? Taste?

Any ideas?

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter