The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, September 01, 2006

The Wrath of Logic and Reason in the “Winter of Doom”

It is disgusting; leave it to Greg to resort to logic and reason. It just takes all the mesquite smoked fun out on my cannibalistic melodrama.

Greg, to answer your question, no the power doesn’t go out for long periods of time on a regular basis over the winter. Personally, I haven’t been without out power for a couple of hours during a winter storm. However, this won’t necessarily save me.

For those of you not familiar winter in the South, I’ll need to give you a little background for this to make sense. And, as a damn Yankee from Illinois (where I did in fact walk to school through the snow everyday), I know how ridiculous this will sound to those of you who live in colder climes. One inch of snow is enough to shut the entire state down for days. No school, no work, no nothing. Really. If it sticks to the road, it is over. This sounds like a bad joke (maybe it is), but to the best of my knowledge it is true; Arkansas has one (or two?) proper snow plows and we share it with southern Missouri. Since snow is infrequent and (usually) short lived, everyone just stays home until the roads clear.

In Arkansas, we typically have one big storm per winter. If we are lucky, it’s only snow. If we’re unlucky, we get ice. The last big ice storm came through in 2000 right around Christmas. We spent a week with my in-laws because we couldn’t leave. Around a quarter of the state lost power for 3 days to over a week. Fortunately, that wasn’t us, but there is no guarantee it won’t be next time.

On the other hand, the winters have been noticeably milder than usual the last few years. Last year it never got cold enough for most of us to wear our heavy winter coats. Maybe global warming will save us. How sick is that? It is certainly responsible for some weird stuff.

As for the generator idea, it is a good one. However, generators are in the same category with a Mercedes Benz. Sure it would be nice to have one if you could afford one, but, even if you had the money, is that what you would want to spend it on?

Here are the two cheapest generators I could find online. The first one costs $499 and the second one is $399.


They seem nice, but I just don’t know if I can justify getting one even if we had the money. If we loose power during a freak ice storm, I’m sure we’ll be wishing that we had.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John. You already have a generator. Well, most of it. Sitting out in the driveway. All you need is to get a DC to AC Convertor, and you ought to be able to run a heater or two to warm one room / hot water etc. Assuming if in a winter outtage you can close off one room and spend a couple days cooped up in there with the family.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter