The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Baron for a Night

Since it is Friday the 13th, it seems fitting to reveal my final decision on a Halloween costume. I know that the suspense has been keeping you up at night for weeks now. Right.

Anyhow, while I was toiling away and raising my army of home improvement zombies from the grave (mail order ones are of inferior quality and tend to mold enroute), I stumbled across the perfect Halloween costume idea: I will be Baron Samedi, a Voodoo Loa. My wife thinks this costume is perfect for me; I’ll leave it to you to figure out the how and why of that.

We’re not going to do much in the way of decorating aside from some freakish jack o’ lanterns; with all the nails we have laying around, I’m thinking my magnum opus will a Pin-Head jack o’ lantern. Most normal folks are scared of the Queen as it is, so why clutter her genuinely evil look? One thing I am considering is changing out all the light bulbs with colored ones to go for a Masque of the Red Death look, every room a different color until you die or find the Long Island Ice Tea (your choice).


On a different note, I’m still thinking about Saving Places. Since my wife and I are going to be horribly busy for the next 6 months or more, its launch date (if we go down that road) wouldn’t be for at least a year or so. More regarding that later.

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Cool. And, I already have a black light.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

It reminds me of the voodoo character in "Live and Let Die". You remember, the part was played by the guy with the really deep voice that did the Un-Cola commericals. Great idea for a costume.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

Okay, you can call me stupid now. I just went to IMDb to find out the actors name and surprise, he played the part of (drumroll please) Baron Samedi!!!!!

Oh the actors name was Geoffrey Holder.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I miss Halloween so much here in Morocco. And I feel guilty of depriving my children of it. You're costume sounds great. Make sure to post a pic...I'll be waiting!

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baron Samedi would be great!
I was thinking that when I looking at my Dr John CDs. There's a good painting of him on one of the covers. (Online here http://www.feyvodou.com/misc.htm)

Photos, of course, are a must John!

5:04 AM  
Blogger John said...

I'm sure we'll get some pictures for everyone.

Angus,

I checked out the picture, pretty cool. I've done a little research, but does anyone know why half of his face is painted red? Most of the sources I've read don't mention anything about a half red face. In any case, I think I'm going for a white, skeletal face (also appropriate).

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter