The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, December 08, 2006

The Filth and the Fury

Ladies and Gentlemen, just a reminder that sometime you really do need to wear a mask or respirator.

This was white before I sanded around 25 square feet of trim (1x10's around the top of the room that were salvaged from the soffits) in our hall bath. I don't know what was on this old wood, but it was absolutely filthy. I'm guessing it was a mix of dust, dirt, dead bugs (crushed), and God knows what else. It took me longer to clean the bathroom out than it did to sand the trim.

Anyhow here are two pictures of the bath post sanding. See, I really have been working on the goddamned hussy. Here is the primed end (still needs to have the seams caulked).


And here is the yet to be primed end.




There has been a lot going on this week, so I'm running behind by about two days. If I'm good, I get this room finished up over the weekend. We'll see.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ish. You have inspired me to revisit our respirators (which have been collecting dust, rather than filtering it) when we work on insulating this weekend!
:) thanks!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Tarr said...

Nonetheless, you are creating a thing of beauty. Very nice work.

Someday, I might bring you some Tangaray if you will let me view your progress. Please don't shoot me. I get through Atkins on the way to and from www.Tinycabin.blogspot.com

Or I'll just hide it under your house.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

Great blog! I have renovated 2 homes in Russellville, 1st built in 1920, 2nd built in 1940. pictures of second here http://www.rivervalleyrealty.com/content/listdetail.html/41392143?proppos=9&ag_id=1866488&startpos=1&endpos=10&ids=40003432,45574589,44802914,42165355,45754392,45367797,38869549,46510982,41392143,30494105&propertyCount=22 ALAS the boss lady wanted a new house so now we have a 1980 model I get to retrovate (is that a word?) good luck

Carl

5:28 AM  
Blogger John said...

Nadja & Sean, your welcome.

Tarr,

Come on down. Weekends are the best time to catch us. Hell, I'd even be happy email you directions if that might help.

Carl,

Thanks, and good luck to you.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter