The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Rumors (and 148 days and counting)

I'd like to take a moment to reassure some of you out there that the rumors of my immanent institutionalization are entirely unfounded. Apparently some of my last few posts have been the cause of a great deal of concern in some circles. Sure, the last week or two have sucked, but we here in the Dark Dominion of the Devil Queen are okay. Really.

My big problem for the day is my new fear of rain. It started raining in the middle of the night, and the sound of running water woke me up from a sound sleep. Why? I associate the sound of running water with exploding plumbing, and I was terrified the gushing sound was being generated by a steady stream of fermented sewage. Fortunately, it was just rain water running off the roof.

I'm still running behind on the bathroom, but progress is being made. I have around 30-45 minutes of priming left. Then I can caulk the cracks and nail holes. Depending on the caulk's drying time, I may actually start painting tonight. Or, worst case, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

And, Julian Electric should be out today to fix our septic pump's wiring a few other outstanding issues.

Aside from that, everything is relatively quiet - for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Well, you know you hold close to legendary status in the houseblogging community. And some of us, just can't do without. Raw sewage is a known breaking point for many mortals (and a known irritant for even zombies and flying monkeys). So I'm relieved that things are okay.

I know that your wife is away for the first time this week, so just make sure to have some really *excellent* music playing at all times. And remember, no drinking cocktails while caulking, okay?

2:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

You're absolutely correct about the music. However, she "stole" several of my current favorites so I'm having to make due with what's left. Really, I can't complain.

As for mixing alcohol and caulk, there is no need to worry. I know my limits. I only drink after I'm finished for the day. As it is, I'm a menace to myself sober.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter