The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Juggling Act

First, let me say that if this in any way sounds like a complaint it is not meant to be taken as such. And, please excuse the non-house post.

For the first time in my life, the demand for my art has exceeded my output. I think that I'm still in shock, but I'm struggling to catch-up. At the moment, I have four people waiting on paintings. This doesn't count the gallery that will be expecting 4-5 new pieces for the 2007 Spring Art Walk. Between the cars, chores, and finishing the Devil Queen, it has been hard to fit in everything, but I'm working hard to do so.

I've posted a new piece, a work-in-progress, and a how-to post (this is your canvas & stretcher Nightmare of Elm Street if you're interested) at The Failed Artist this week.

Most of my patrons find their way to my art through the Devil Queen, so I felt pretty sure that everyone would see this here. Please be patient with me, I should be caught-up by the end of the month.

Wish me luck.

14 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

Hey John, that's really interesting- I have a lot of friends who went to SCAD. Don't put any pressure on yourself with the paintings, you have a TON of stuff going on! Good luck.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much business is a good problem to have. Great stuff.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so you're a SCAD man ... guess that explains the Savannah love. :) That was my sister's dream school way back when. Instead she followed her sister's footsteps at the U of A. Roll Tide.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Why...you very talented person, you! Really, you have got to cut this out - all this multi-dimensionalism. Makes the rest of us feel insecure:-)

What *great* news.

PS That mint tea post for you coming up in a few days...promise.

4:23 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks everyone.

Maryam, I wouldn't feel insecure. One of my great talents in life is making myself look more knowledgeable & skilled than I really am; I just do go PR work to cover the fact that I lack enough focus to master any single skill. Having been fortunate enough to meet some amazingly talented people, I can't help but feel like the village idiot most the time. But, thank you anyway. I do love a little flattery every now and then.

6:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

See what I mean, the facade crumbles! Substitute "good" for "go" above.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I go over to see the paintings and what do I run into but the one with the gun. And not only do I really like the painting, but the gun seems like an amazing coincidence, because when I'm not working on an old house I write mystery novels...

Anyway. Nice work, and congrats on having customers waiting for it, too!

11:46 AM  
Blogger John said...

Sara,

Thanks!

Mystery novels? Published? Would this be you? Home Repair Is Homicide

Let me know, my wife likes a good mystery.

12:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

Sara,

Thanks!

Mystery novels? Published? Would this be you? Home Repair Is Homicide

Let me know, my wife likes a good mystery.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, John. I just started Houseblogging artists unite!

Congrats on the demand for your stuff.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great problem to have..congratulations! And don't worry about the nonhouse post. I keep an art blog and and everything else blog (contains lots of house stuff). If I had to break it down any further than that, I'd never keep up.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that's me...

5:10 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks.

Tex, great stuff and some great links too.

Sarah,

Pretty cool.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. At least now when I hit my thumb with a hammer I've got a place to vent about it. Excellent paint scraper, by the way.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter