The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

So Close, Yet So Far Away


Sure, it looks like a proper, functional bathroom, but it isn't. Or, it is if you don't mind only having cold water at the sink. Personally, I like the option of hot water.

So, what is wrong? Christmas Eve day found me installing this stupid sink. Everything went fine until we turned on the water. Our hot water shut off valve (not the connections) leaks. Scarlet and I tinkered with it, we tightened nuts, and we (actually that would just be me) used our best four letter words and blasphemous epitaphs, but the leak merely slowed. It only stops once the valve is shut completely off.

Since we were expecting company for the holidays, we did the only thing we could. We blew the bathroom up with a few well placed sticks of dynamite and called it quits. Screw that.

Okay, we tired a rag around it and just ran with it for a couple of days. I'm really glad we have a tile floor.

In theory, we'll be replacing the valve and messing with some other crap this weekend. Then, maybe then, we'll have this . . . bathroom working.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"we (actually that would just be me) used our best four letter words and blasphemous epitaphs"

yep, I'm that one in the family, too!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your sink. What brand/style is it?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too cute- I bet that bottle of Pepto is your own?
Cheap-o cut off valves always act flaky when you have to open and shut them. Ours do what they are supposed to only when fully on or fully off- they all seem to leak in between and during repairs. My plumber told me to never get the cheap ones again- get a good one while you are going to all the extra expense of the work.
Formerly Carol, someone else is using my name now.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

We moved from our last house because we had leaks. Okay, that is an understatement - we had FLOODS. Constantly. Quite annoying.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have that sink in our bathroom (the only truly finished room in the whole house). It's the smallest, cheapest period-esque sink at Lowe's. I think we paid 99 bucks for ours. It was on sale, but I think that only knocked 20 off the price.

8:08 AM  
Blogger John said...

Carol, I check the box and the sink is an Aquasource made by Ashley. And, as Marg add, it was the cheapest "period-esque" sink at Lowe's. Same price and everything.

dnagrl/Carol, yes the Pepto is ours. My wife commented on that too: "I liked the picture, but why did you have include the Pepto?"

And, you couldn't be more right about the shut-off valves. Unfortunately, they were all that we availble in Russellville at the time, and I didn't know better. Now I do. The Hard-Way, I've got to try it every time.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter