The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Devil is in the Air

When life gets chaotic, I turn to houseblogs for some therapeutic distraction.

I stumbled across this blog, The Devils of Loudun, today. I like the name for obvious reasons.

My wife and I have talked about living in France, so this blog gives me the perfect vehicle to vicariously live out my frustrated dreams without much effort. What can I say? I just don't have as much energy as I once did.

This is the kind of adventure I had in mind for myself many years ago. However, I don't know if I am up to the challenge to be honest. Maybe this reflects more on my state of mind than my abilities, but I just don't think I have enough skill and fortitude to restore an old house like this AND undertaking it in a foreign country and language. Just thinking about it long enough to write that last sentence used up my energy reserves for the day. I'm exhausted.

Anyhow, take a look if you have a chance. The house was last "updated" in 1847 and has hand-cut stone tiles (except for the rest of the house with a packed dirt floor). And you thought pulling out that 1970's shag carpet was bad.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger kingstreetfarm said...

OK that has to make you feel REALLY good!!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Loudon house. Now I'll have to find the Huxley book and read it. And I love the light in the exterior photographs. Also thanks for all the photos you've been posting of the DQ, too. That triple-sasher is great.

8:52 AM  
Blogger John said...

Kingstreetfarm, absolutely!

Sarah, I had the same thought about finding the Huxley book - not that I'll have the time for in between the house and the other 20 books already in line waiting for my attention.

And, you are welcome for the photos. Hopefully more will get posted tomorrow.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter