The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tight Spots

Why do I like petite brunettes so much? Because they can go places that most people can't . . .



like the top of living room built-ins without tearing off all the crown molding.

A special thanks to Ms. Scarlet for doing all the dirty work in the living room last weekend.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I have just read your blog from start to finish and I think you have done a great job so far. I am in New Zealand where house moving is fairly common. We moved a 1920's Bungalow onto a rural property, and 10 years later have almost finished renovating! This included several 'sanity' breaks. Good luck with your looming deadline, I can't believe how narrow minded banks can be, although it is just as bad here.

2:29 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks Steve! Ten years? That sounds about right to me. We're working on year 4 and "Phase 1" is nearly finished; we could probably spend 5 more years getting everything just-so.

I've got to ask though, "I am in New Zealand where house moving is fairly common." How common is it?

My wife and I were wildly enterained by the image of thousands of houses being pulled all over wilds of New Zealand by huge herds of yaks (non-native, I know). I can just hear the Discovery Channel voice over now, "In the spring, the subdivision drifts across the plain to the seasonal breading grounds . . ."

Sorry, I'm probably having too much fun with this.

Really though, how common is it? It's pretty rare here.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately we don't have yaks here so we have to rely on sheep to do the job; it's amazing how strong those little buggers are!

Seriously though it is very common here, the house moving companies usually have yards where you can go and pick a house out if you wish, or you can buy the house privately and get a quote on moving it.

Our house was moved about 40km in three seperate pieces, the challenge being that we live several kilometres up a steep gravel road with hairpin corners. The trailers they used have air shocks on seperate sides of the trailer so they can raise and lower them independent of each other. On some of the corners you could see the wheel marks going up the side of the bank just to get around the corner.

In another instance when my grandparents house was being moved to make way for a development, they cut the house in two but due to heavy rain one of the trailers tilted badly and that side of the house fell off the trailer! After much swearing and holding his head in his hands, the housemover managed to winch and lift the half house back onto the trailer, with no substantial damage done! I guess that says something about the superior strength and quality of old houses.

Look forward to reading more about your progress.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter