The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Quick Patch, Part 2

Here is Part Two.

I found a piece of scrap wood that was about 3/4" thick and 1 3/4 wide and cut a length that would span the hole plus 2-3" to each side of the hole. The total length was about 6-7 inches.

I drove two screws into the wall, one on each side of the hole. Since I don't have a counter-sink bits for my drill, I sank the screw in as far as they would go and then removed them. I used a knife to deepen the holes the screw heads had made. Then, I sank the screws in until their tips had just cleared the back side of the wallboards.

I took the stub of wood and partly sunk a screw in the middle of it. This would serve as my "handle" so I could insert it into the hole and hold it flush with the back of the wallboards. Once it was in place, I sank the two screws in all the way. Here is a picture.

I then removed the central screw and inserted the patch I'd cut in part 1. It fit pretty well, so I sank one screw into the center of it using the same method as above. Then, I shot several 1 1/8 brads into it to help hold it in place.

Now that the patch was secure, I caulked it. After the fact, it occurred to me that I could have also used wood putty or epoxy for this as well. Both would have produced a smoother finish, but, with walls this rough, it would be more effort than it's worth.

Here is the patch after a single coat of paint. Not bad minus the fact that it could use 3-4 more coats.

I've put on three more coats since this picture was taken. I'll have a picture of the finished product in Part 3 and a review of the EZ Clean Paint Brush (about 7 months after the fact).

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter