The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction Or The Coolest Reason to Walk Away From Your House

Not to sound like a crotchety, incontinent octogenarian, but I've seen a lot houseblogs come and go. Some have ended from lack of interest on the part of the blogger, one ended when the home was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina, another ended because they couldn't find a contractor in the whole of Canada who'd show up and fix the bloody slate roof, et cetera. I never imagined that I'd see one end because the homeowner and blogger was moving to New York to became a male fashion model. This has to be the coolest one I've seen. Congratulations and the best of luck Nate!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that was very interesting too.

The blog from the house in Canada was incredible and very sad. It wasn't just the slate roof. Apparently, the area of town the house sat in was bad. Hey, we know many house lovers who bought beauties in the "bad part of town", but these people were pretty much assaulted by the freaks who lived across the street. They had a rock thrown through the front window while having company over for dinner and even their son was physically assaulted by the same hooligans. When they called the cops they would do nothing, so these people fled. The mansion was incredible and the work they did was amazing. When I read their last blog entry I was stunned. It was nightmarish.

-Patricia w.

8:17 AM  
Blogger John said...

I didn't read about the assualts though I knew the neighborhood was a bit rough. It was incredibly sad.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. I missed the Canada blog. Which one was it?

8:57 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Ok, so I started reading this and thought to myself 'hey, I'm walking away from my house too.' It wasn't until half way through I realized you were talking about me. I just got a really good belly-laugh. Thanks!

9:13 AM  
Blogger John said...

Jenne,

I'll post some links in a little. Their blog was Our Old House. They've since removed their site from the web, but you call pull all of their entries from their houseblog profile.

Nate,

That is pretty funny. My wife does stuff like that all time.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

So THAT's what happened to Our Old House! Isn't that great for Nate (I made a rhyme)?!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter